Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pantone's 2015 Color of the Year is... Barfy

Ew. Enough said.
Well, ok, no. It's not called "Barfy." It's called "Marsala." As in the wine. Although the last time I checked the color of wine, it was deep and rich, garnet in tone, not drab and subdued.

I've had problems with Pantone's color choices over the years. I felt that Emerald was a bit much, a little too Emerald City to use in anything more than tiny amounts. But Marsala is way, way worse. This is simply not a nice color. It looks creepy next to skin. It looks institutional in hue. And, worst of all, it looks like liver.

Who wants a livery pillow? Or an organ hued wall? This color evokes, at least for an old dinosaur like myself, the production design of Silence of the Lambs. It's a color a serial killer would love; it is not a color for the living.

As for the name, the only connection it has to actual marsala wine is if it's been vomited up after a night of revelry. Gross, but true.

I really, really, really hate this color. I'm done now.

1 comment:

Sue Ann said...

right on, who picks this stuff?