Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Saucy Bride


Two posts ago I discussed Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and I promised to feature a saucier pan to accompany it. Well, the Toad always delivers.

First, what is a saucier pan, and why would a bride (or any other mere mortal) want one? A saucier pan usually has a slightly rounded bottom and a wider top, for maximum heat delivery. It is, naturally, designed for heating and preparing sauces quickly and evenly, but I have to admit that I use mine all the time just to boil water for blanching vegetables or cooking smaller amounts of pasta; water does boil faster in this pot, even if you do watch it obsessively. It's a highly necessary kitchen tool for anyone who takes cooking even slightly seriously.

There are many brands of sauciers, of course. But All Clad is the best. And I've found a superior deal: a 5.5 quart All Clad saucier for under 200 bucks. Trust me, that's a great price. Order it (along with the aforementioned cookbook) for that saucy bride, and watch her turn her hubby chubby. Order at www.cooking.com.

No comments: