Monday, September 13, 2010

Levitation for Idiots

As far as I know, levitation is a pretty delicate trick to pull off. You need a strong will, immense concentration, and the ability to bend the laws of nature on your command. It's probably not going to happen.

Enter this fascinating toy, the Levitron. Really, I've been around the toy department once or twice, and I've never seen anything quite like this. It looks like a top that lives on an indented dish, but when you spin it just right, it'll rise up from its cozy home and spin, suspended, in air. The physics involve magnets and probably centrifugal force, but I'm no scientist, so don't quote me on that. And even with the science on your side, the site advises patience. This, of course, just adds to your incredible psychic mystique during after dinner drinks, when you (and only you) make this top dance in mid air. And did I mention it's beautiful, being made out of cherry wood and all? Seriously, this is one grown up toy.

I've only seen the Levitron on Manufactum, a european site with wonderful, minimalist things. Go and drool. Go and defy the laws of gravity.

No comments: